Re: [St] UK Reg, MSVA, and Maximum Road Speed

On 26 Sep 2008, at 18:30, John Ulizzi wrote:

I am not so sure about that brick wall... I have seen near redline in 5th on my Sprint, shifted into 6th and it was still pulling. I ran out of room before running out of steam. I felt it might have actually done it. 02 RS with one tooth smaller front sprocket, OEM race can and tune...

A couple of years ago I was in Germany on an unrestricted bit of Autobahn and had a go at winding up my 03 ST. Was on journey so had big screen, tank bag and panniers (and me - not exactly Danny Pedrosa) on bike, so I guess 149mph was not on cards. But got up to between an indicated 140 and 150 on the clock and it was very stable and still pulling strongly - but I too ran out of road. I also had to pull over to allow the orderly queue of Audi's and Porches that had accumulated behind me...

Subsequently have got a Zumo, and found the ST speedo is at least 10% optimistic above 100mph. So probably I was doing 125mph or so in reality. If my clocks are typical you'd need to see something nearer 165mph on clock if you got close to suggested peak.

Regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03

2GC Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Address: Albany House, Market Street, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 8BE.
Contact: +44 (0) 1628 421506 // info@xxxxxxxxx
Registered number: 3754183. Registered office:16, Wentworth Road, Oxford OX2 7TQ.
http://www.2gc.co.uk/