Re: [St] UK Reg, MSVA, and Maximum Road Speed

On Fri 26 Sep 2008, Peter Chittum wrote:

> First off, people were saying that I'd need a new set of head lights,
> or they would have to tape them off. I'm not sure how, but apparently, my
> bike passed...no modifications necessary.

Seems the beam pattern is symmetrical enough to pass (not rising sharply
towards the kerb like almost all car headlights.) The beam pattern on my '04
looks pretty symmetrical.

> This also might make it easier for me to cross over
> into the continent as technically I have a left-hand-drive-country head
> light. We'll see...will report on that later.

Definitely no issues there, as your bike was intended to be ridden on the
right :)

> So now the MSVA. This test I guess makes sure that the basic components of
> my bike meet the criteria that would be adequate to operate in the EU/UK.
> It's a relatively new test for imports, foisted upon the UK by their EU
> membership. Not that I'm complaining...this is just what all the brits I
> talk to say.

Yeah they like saying that a lot, about anything they don't like!

AFAIK, SVA has SFA to do with the EU (enough acronyms for one sentence?) :) no
plans whatsoever for it to be implemented here in Ireland for cars or bikes,
and we were still in the EU last time I checked...

Eoin

'04ST955i