Re: [St] UK Reg, MSVA, and Maximum Road Speed

On Sat 27 Sep 2008, Gavin Lawrie wrote:

> > A system of European Whole Vehicle Type Approval (ECWVTA) for
> > powered two and three-wheel vehicles (including some quadricycles)
> > capable of more than 6km/h, came into operation on 17 June 1999. Any
> > newly designed, volume produced, model or type of vehicle within the
> > scope of ECWVTA and first introduced and placed on the market of an
> > EU Member State from that date must have ECWVTA and a Certificate of
> > Conformity issued by the manufacturer must be made available. To be
> > valid in the UK, the Certificate of Conformity should indicate that
> > the vehicle is suitable for use in left hand rule of the road
> > traffic and has a speedometer calibrated in miles per hour.

Type approval we have already implemented. There is absolutely no sign of
single vehicle approval here though (even for cars) and as there is no bike
testing infrastructure, and no EU directive requiring an MOT for bikes, it
seems very unlikely to happen any time soon. The number of bikes in use in
the whole country is only about 40,000. Two examples of how we riders slip
under the radar: when we converted to the euro, bike registration tax dropped
about 35% because someone forgot to convert the amounts to euro. Our
restricted licence legislation has been in breach of the EU directive since
1999 (bikes above 33hp are learner legal under Irish law if they meet the
power-to-weight ratio of 0.15kW/kg) no other EU country has this! but we
don't have direct access, either.

Interesting that the UK is still allowed to insist on MPH speedos. Km/h-only
speedos (on imports) were legal in Ireland for years before we converted to
km/h signs.

Eoin

'04 ST955i