RE: Dropped it.

My take would be buy the replacement parts for the minor damage, and stick
them someplace safe. Replacing a bar-end weight at vast expense, only to
scuff the replacement two days later while manouvring in a tight space would
be one of those 'Doh!' moments... in fact, even body panels where the damage
can be more or less concealed with application of T-Cut and touch-up paint
(works better on lowers, bodging on uppers is usually obvious), I'd buy the
replacement and keep it at the back of the garage. That way, if you ever
drop the bike again you won't have to pay again, if any given day you decide
you want your ride to look like it did the day it rolled off the line (like
the day you are going to sell it or trade it, maybe?) then you have all the
parts to do it. Things like track days are less stressful if you've already
eaten the fact that you may sling your pride and joy up the track - and
eating that is easier if you have a stock of replacement parts just waiting
to go on.

Personally, I think bikes look better when they look like they've been
around the block a bit. The odd scuff is an honourable scar of battle rather
than a cause for your local Parts shark to start doing cartwheels. I don't
know whether pristine plastics have any greater significance to merkins than
they do over here, but my only concern is that it might dent resale values.

Ken Haylock
[Political Rep, Wycombe MAG]

Current rides: '98 T595, '82 CD200

Next ride...