RE: new guy, looking for a sport-tourer (longish... )

> questions:
>
> - how do the taller folk on this list like the st? can you
> compare it to the
> vfr or other bikes that you've had? i'm interested in comfort (both long
> distance and commuting), wind protection, leg room, carrying
> capacity, etc.

I'm 6'0" and it fits pretty good, only wish I have is for bars a little
higher and further back, I have the genmar risers but would still like a bit
more (option Triumph). Wind protection is great for a sport tourer and there
are different wind screens available to help out.

> - how about reliability? i hear there havent been any major problems,
> anything that annoys you ...

21,000 and no problems. Things that annoy, the rails posing as passenger
pegs (option Triumph) and no backrest for the passenger (option Triumph).

> - the sport rider (?) test said they had problems with the motor
> bogging and
> almost dying in hot weather. any of you from warmer climes
> experience this?
> why would it happen? problems with the efi ?

We rode lots of places in the heat (I like heat by the way) and never
experienced a problem.

> - the bike i rode was hard to get into neutral. does this improve
> or do you
> just get used to it and call it character ;-) ?

Transmission improves a lot with a few thousand miles.

> - has anybody taken cross-courty (or timezone) trips on the
> sprint? can you
> point me to some write-ups on the web?

We took a 7,000 odd mile trip on ours (2 up). I have to say that after
multiple, back to back, 12+ hour days, the saddle comes up a little short in
comfort. Realistically, for us, it is good for about 400 mile days if we are
on an extended ride. Individual tolerance levels apply here though. The gas
mileage is great, this is a much appreciated often overlooked area, until
you are out in the middle of no where looking for some gas.

> any inputs would be greatly appreciated.
> thank you very much for your time.

I think one of the great things you get from Triumph that other (Japanese)
manufacturers have totally missed, is in their accessory catalog.
Hmmm....Honda is missing more than hard bags for options. Heated grips?
Missed that. Optional wind screen? Missed that. Hugger? Fender extensions?
Top rack? Top box? Throw over bags? Tank protector? Tank bag? Gee, I guess
Mr. VFR does not quite measure up if you really want to use the bike as a
nicely integrated package. Ever see a VFR with the GIVI option!!!!!! Cool
eh. I did not start out as a Triumph person, had one in the early 70's that
I was glad to part with, but I have to tell you these people are building
really great bikes. I can't say enough good about these bikes, if you liked
it for a short ride, believe me it only gets better.
Paul & Dee