Re: TT600 test ride report -> attack of the sewing machine

>>> Thomas Emberson <thomas@xxxxxxx> 27/06/00 15:14:19 >>>
On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Jonathan Schulster wrote:

<snip>

Ahhhhhh, the sewing machine experience. you either love it or hate
it. You obviously hate it. Personally I love it. You have to remember
that that little sewing machine is putting out damn near the same
horse power as your tripple. I was going to stay quiet, but you
brought up the sewing machine thread.

Even with my zx9r, it really does not hit until 5-6k rpm. My last
bike, '98 ZX6e (well still in the garage, must put back together)
had three stages, 1k-6k yup its on, 6k-9k hey theres some power in
that puppy, 9k-13,500k hold on. Of course it only peeked at about
85hp@13,500. You learn to love to roar in the upper range.

**  Too true, I think its a great bike really, just not for me - it fails on all the reasons why I bought the ST (except for the handling and suspension which I would love). I am one of those who would buy on 'tourability', 'comfort', 'practicality' (ok, a shaft drive would be even better!), tank range etc.  I took the ST around the Nurburging (as have others) and it was still great fun, so its not too big a compromise. Just that for most uses on the road a bike that kicks out torque from 4000rpm onwards (as does the ST) makes for a relaxed and enjoyable time. I guess with practice I could get used to the TT, but there are good reasons why it came near the bottom of last months test in BiKE mag.

> The biggest thing I noticed is the complete lack of character compared to the ST (or any triple in the range).  I dont think anyone would buy a Triumph just on price or performance (except the ST of course!), but also because they are special. The TT is
 not special.  The engine is like any 4/4 sewing machine.  I think a 600 triple sport tourer would have been more interesting - a new class even. Noone in their right mind will tour on a TT (the CBR is different).  I think the air-cooled Bonneville will b
e much more interesting, and certainly have 'character'.  I wonder how the sales of the TT are doing?  My dealer was not optimistic - he is still selling more STs.  The BRG colour on the ST for next season looks fantastic. Might have to trade my black one
 :)

And I have to disagree with you, those sewing machines have character,
just not character that appeals to you. Just like Harleys do not
appeal to me. The TT is not made to tour, triumph already has a
couple of bikes that are perfect for that.

** Yep, I was being unfair, it does have character.  Not the same as a triple but it was certainly entertaining.  Different horses for different courses I guess.  Hope it sells well (it comes with a free pair of Y-fronts for a start!).

cheers
Jonathan

End of st-digest V2000 #314