Re: for Thomas - son on pillion

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Steven Kohlscheen wrote:

> So when, in your opinion, is the child "..old enough to be able to make a
> conscious decision based on the risks..".  Scott's son is asking to ride

That is a hard question, and is probably based on a number of
factors, on other words YMMV, legally anywhere from 16 to 18,
practically when the parent feels the child is mature enough, for
some that is their mid twenties, for some as young as 10 or 12.

> along.  As long as their interested, and will listen and understand the
> basic pre-ride speech about what goes where, and what is going to happen,
> it's time to turn them on to the biking fun!  I will say that if they can't
> comfortably reach the pillion pegs then they shouldn't go, yet.

The more I think about it, the more circular it becomes. To me it
comes down to the fact that your child would love a ride on your
bike, if there is an accident and your child is killed. Are you
prepared to for the loss and the internal turmoil you are setting
yourself up for. On the one hand, I am sure that there are some
who will not consider the possible outcomes when they put Jr on
the seat in front of them or tie their child to their back, but I
would hope that most people do.

Personally I hop on a machine that can do 160+mph, I have been
that fast, I drive aggressively in the twisties, but I stay with in
my limits, and I understand the risks and I do my best to not to
inflict those risks upon others. But that is my risk, and I am
willing to accept that.  Can a 10 year old make a risk/benefit
analysis? How about an 8 year old, 14?

Must admit, I am not a child psychologist, I just know that I could
not mentally handle ending a life prematurely where I shoulda known
better.

So I guess if you are will to accept the risk for your childs life,
then that is your right, personally I would think long and hard
about riding with a young'ish child. Especially if they can not,
under any circumstances, hold onto the driver well and stabilize
them self on the bike as an adult pilion would be able to do.

> I don't intend to flame or bash the point made.  I'm saying this because
> I've been looking at the statistics of the motorcycling world.  It screams a
> few things; not enough young people, and not enough trained and licensed
> riders all around.  If we can teach then respect for the speed, and
> enjoyment of the ride young, motorcycling and motorcyclists will be much
> more prevalent and respected in todays culture.

I would not disagree with you that we need more motorcycle riders,
but we should not pursue that end at the risk of endangering the
very people that look to us for protection.

Again, if I am taking this to seriously, slap me around a bit. You
will get your chance at the Rally. I will be the only one there
not on a ST or RS, of course my bike is blue so it might blend in
:-)

Thomas

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5100 Tennyson Parkway, Suite 1000, Plano, TX, 75024
V: 214-495-5665  F: 214-495-5664