A comment on changing the gearing

I was just reading through last weeks digests and saw the threads on the
final gearing and thought I'd give my thoughts on it.  I'm going to ignore
numbers such as % increases and just tell you about how changing the gearing
effected my everyday riding.

I changed the front sprocket on my '00 from a 19 (and yes I did count it to
make sure it was a 19)  to an 18.  It actually made 4th gear usable on city
streets and made 6th gear usable without exceeding the maximum speed
possible in your state (I think that even includes Montana).  For the frugal
folk who are worried about prices at the gas pump, I haven't noticed any
change in gas mileage.  On top of that, next time you go to the rallye on
your blue bike, you won't be slower than all the '99s.

Of course, the front end does come up a little easier, but you still have to
work at it to stand it up, ignoring the occasional small power wheelie that
happens coming off a bump or hump in the road when you off hard from the
line (which only happens to me once a day on a typical commute to work).
Note:  I also have the performance can, K&N filter, and the new tune.

I really liked the change to the 18th tooth front, except it still didn't
get second gear down enough for the really tight twisties.  I still feel
like I need a gear 1 1/2 on the tight stuff (like Deal's gap type roads).
So, I'll probably add two teeth to the rear in the near future.  This change
should also lower my top end down, but that 's fine with me because I'll
never notice.

And don't forget, if you don't like it they can always put back on the old
ratios, it just costs you an hour or two of labor.

Anyway, my humble 2 cents. It's all opinion so take it as you may!
Adam
Gilbert, AZ

End of st-digest V2000 #592