GAS MILAGE&FUEL GAGE PROBLEMS

Hi there STers

Has anyone out there had problems with gas mileage falling off? My 99 ST has
11,500 miles on
the clock,so it is due for the 12K service. My mpgs since new were 40 in
town, and 50 on a trip. About a month ago my gas mileage began falling off
to 37 in town, and 40 on a trip. I also noticed a gas smell at stopsigns, so
I took it to Orange County Triumph. Im in Bakersfield, so that's about a 3hr
one way trip!  Well they changed the gas gage sender, which I admit gave
some funny readings, and they also found a leak at the quick disconnect
fitting under the gas tank.  Well they changed the entire gas line, and the
gas gage sender under warranty.  The trip home netted 48 mpgs, so I thought
it was fixed! I then rode from Bakersfield to Pismo, with my wife and
luggage, to celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary, and ran out of gas on
the 101, just outside of Avila, at 187 miles.  I was dumfounded! Two guys on
BMWs stopped to offer assistance, and both of them responded with petrol,
for this we are very grateful. I figured 34/35 mpgs.  Previously on this
route, two up with luggage, Big Red gets 42/44 mpgs! Big Red still has the
same punch, and appears to be running just the same as she always did, so
what's wrong?  Also, now the fuel gage acts really strange.  On my trip back
from Orange County, when she got 48mpgs the gas gage read full, just before
fill up. Just before I ran out of petrol, the gas gage read half full. About
3 miles later the fuel light came on, and  the needle was in the red square
showing empty. Previously, the fuel light came on around 160 miles (40mpgs)
and I knew I had about 1.1 gallons before she runs completely out. Now
around town Big Red is getting 34 mpgs. Same rider-same everything.
Has anyone out in ST land had similar problems?  If so, were you able to
solve the problem?
And what about the new gas gage sender? I know STs have gas gage sender
problems, but no one has ever commented if the new sender actually fixed the
problem.

Thanks in advance

Burt Barrett
& Big Red