RE: Brake Pads

From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
acretintbs

>>I'm truly amazed that your disks wore out so early! I've gotten over
26K on mine currently, and after reading this, had to go measure. RH
consistently measures 3.962mm and the LH is 4.013mm - which in decimal
is .156" and .159" respectively. I believe the manual calls for 4mm
down to 3.5mm min.
What sort of pad compounds are you using? Metallic? Something more
radical? I push this baby pretty hard, certainly not the fastest rider
at the track, but I'm able to run close with about anyone on the
street. Just wondering what could have caused the early demise?<<

My rotors were at 3.1mm (left) and 3.4mm (right). The problem was a
two-part one, actually. Part one (the biggest part, IMO) was the
Ferodo pads - they were a big mistake - they were the 'racing'
compound and may well have been metallic. Part two was a sticking
piston caused by the extreme amount of brake pad debris tossed off by
the Ferodo pads. With the Ferodo pads on, the fork lowers would be
solid black after only a few thousand miles. The EBC pads and the
original stock pads don't seem to generate anywhere near the same
amount of brake dust.