[ST] Re: Service Costs

Robert wrote:

>Darren you are ABSOLUTELY correct. If you think these ( hi tech Triumph )
mech.
>care for your bike as much as you do, you would be gravely mistaken.
>Doing it yourself ( if you are able ) is far superior than any dealer I
know.
>If you look at the list of items they are supposed to check, replace or
adjust,
>you would be lucky if they do half.
>Sorry but this is the real world truth, your bike is just another pay check
>MOST mech. out there. If I'm wrong prove me so.

My bike is serviced by Peter Stevens Motorcycles in Adelaide, Australia.
I've always taken the bike there, and have nothing but praise for this
dealer. My mechanic (and yes, I ask for the same mechanic each time) spends
time with me before he works on my bike, talking to me about what he will be
doing and then spends time with me afterwards explaining fully what he's
done.

2 weeks ago, whilst having a major service, he noticed that the chain was
wearing badly. He recommend I change this and booked a time for me to come
in the following day. In doing so, I jumped the queue of people waiting for
this dealers service. I was expecting to have to pay through the nose for a
chain and sprockets, but to my delight, when I arrived and spoke to the
mechanic, he told me that he'd been in contact with TOA and found that the
problem with the chain that had caused it to wear prematurely (a tight spot
in the chain) was a known fault of this particular chain and that, whilst
the bike was oficially out of warranty, he'd negotiated with TOA that they
would pick up the bulk of the bill for it's replacement.

Then, he made a time for me to come back to the workshop where he'd readjust
the chain for me and not charge me anything.

My mechanic loves his pay cheque (of this I have no doubt) and he also knows
that good customer service is the key to retaining that pay cheque. He knows
that if I'm happy with his service and he does everything required of him
(and a little more) that I'll reward him with repeat patronage.

I completely recommend Peter Stevens (Adelaide) if you're ever in the city
and need work on your bike.

My 0.02 worth.

Darryl.