RE: [ST] sprint st or st1100

Brian,

A year ago I sold my ST1100 for the Triumph ST. I bought the Honda brand new
and sold it with 70,000 miles on the ticker. It performed flawlessly the
whole time except for a blown stator. I LOVED the ST1100. If I could have
afforded two bikes, I'd have kept it for touring/commuting, and bought a
strictly sport bike for around town fun. The only reason I sold it was
because I wanted something with a little more emphasis on the sport side,
even though I still love to do long tours. When I began touching down the
crash bars, ie the "wings," I knew it was time for the Honda to go before I
killed myself highsiding. The Triumph has been perfect for me. However your
list of positives for the Honda are spot on: if you want to do lots of two
up-touring, long distance tours in more comfort, or if you're taller (say
over 6 feet) the Honda ST1100 is the way to go. It's simply more comfortable
due to better weather protection and more relaxed ergonomics. I'd classify
the Honda as 60/40 touring/sport, and the Triumph as 60/40 sport/touring.
Both are great bikes, you can't go wrong. It's just a matter of figuring out
the kind of riding and comfort level you want. Be sure to do test rides WITH
your passenger.

Keep in mind the Honda can be made surprisingly sporty despite the extra
heft. Upgrade the suspension and you can shock and embarrass many a
sportbiker. I enjoyed it to no end I shameless admit!
If you have any other questions feel free to email me off list.

regards,
Brett
Seattle