Re: [ST] RS Starting Problems

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Jerry Spicer" <spicer@xxxxxxxx>

> I would wonder if the fuel mapping was in fact the correct map for your
> bike? I understand through talking with a few different dealers that
> there were different tunes available for the '99 and the '00 .

First of all there was no '99 RS, but more importantly in '00 Triumph
started using the Sagem MC 1000 for both STs and RSs ('99 ST used the MC
2000) -- TT600 uses the MC 1000 too

I quote from a not-so-recent post:

"The 1999 Sprint ST (Up to Vin No. 89,736) uses the MC2000 ECM
The 2000 Sprint ST & RS (After Vin No. 89,737) uses the smaller MC1000 ECM

Although the 2 ECM perform the same tasks the programming is different and
the Tunes are not interchangeable. The latest tune version is Issue No. 9
and the Tune numbers are as follows:
1999 Sprint ST
9888 Production silencer without Cat
9889 Production silencer with closed loop Cat (Germany)
9890 Aftermarket silencer

2000 Sprint ST/RS
10017 Production silencer without Cat
10020 Production silencer with closed loop Cat (Germany)
10021 Aftermarket silencer"

It's possible to experiment using older tunes for non-Triumph cans, but if
it's the Triumph 'aftermarket' can, I think you'd be best using the latest
version -- maybe others know better?

> Its possible you have to rich or to lean a mixture that might present a
> problem when hot.

I'm not a mechanic, but it might be prudent to ask the dealer to check the
CO setting using a calibrated Exhaust Gas Analyzer (3% +/- .25% is the new
recommended setting).  It seems that this has more to do with poor engine
running than starting problems though.

>  I have a '00 rs and a friend of mine does as well, we
> both have the Triumph carbon fiber exhaust (from different dealers) and
> we both have a different tune number on the mapping. We are trying to
> investigate this now but have not come up with any concrete evidence as
> to which is correct.

this is probably more a case of which is current