Race Tech and Ohlins

I agree that if you aren't going to do the forks yourself, you should send
them to Race Tech.  However, by the time you get them out of the bike, your
half way done and I can say the rest isn't all that hard.  What I learned by
doing it myself proved very valueable in setting it up to perfection later.
It is not realistic to expect it to come perfectly set up to your riding
weight, style, preferences etc...  Plus I know it was done perfectly.

As far as the shock, Race Tech does re-build, but does not have available a
stiffer 15 kg spring for the Spring ST shock.  A stiffer spring is something
that I required being 195 lbs sans gear, having the 3 bag setup, and hoping
to have a pillion sometimes.  Since I got my Ohlins before the Wim Kroon
embargo, $600 was a deal for the top of the line shock including the new 15kg
spring.  I haven't regretted it for a minute, however, I doubt I would have
paid $1000 for it.

In my opinion, the forks are a problem.  They can be fixed with just springs
(Progressive or Race Tech) and some heavier oil for about $100, or improved
by that and adding the Race Tech Emmulators for another $140.  The shock
ins't a problem per se, but it can definately be inproved upon.  The final
factor in all this is how far you push the bike.  Many riders never get to
the point of needing any of this stuff, some might enjoy the improved feel,
and a few at the limit will truely appreciate it. I consider myself to be in
the latter category and I have enjoyed the investment in the suspension on
trips with pillions, on long touring, on the Parkway, and especially on the
track.

Rick Paukert
TSRA Horn Dawg
HSTA South Texas State Director