[ST] triggers

Subject: Re: [ST] green light trigger

We kicked this around in 2000 or sometime. The consensus was they don't
work, that you'd be just as well driving around with a cement block tied to
your ST. IIRC, someone said the block might just be more effective since it
weighs more than the 'tripper.' I have personally not tried the product.

John Petrey

Most places have electronically triggered signals. The weight of the vehicle
is not the issue. The lines in the road contain wires that when the
electromagnetic field is interrupted by ferrous metal, they respond.
Motorcycles, lacking a lot of ferrous metals, have difficulty triggering the
signals. A little magnet attached to the bottom of your bike will also do
little to trigger the signal. An iron block would be required instead of
concrete. In California, you can call the Highway Department, I think, or
some agency like that, and have the sensitivity adjusted. The only weight
activated ones I ever saw were the steel plates that were about 6' long and
8" wide. Don't see those much any more.
Bare

End of st-digest V2002 #725