Re: [ST] Re: Fastest Colour

On Friday, March 8, 2002, at 07:26  am, Darryl wrote:

> I'll take up that challenge.
>
> Colour perception is wholly dependent on there being light available.
> The
> perception of white comes from the full spectrum of light being
> reflected
> from the 'white' surface and back into your eye. Light is made up of
> photons, all of which have a weight. Thus, a 'white' bike, reflecting
> as it
> does, all the photons that make up the light spectrum, is having
> billions
> and billions of little collisions with the photons as they bounce off
> the
> surface of the paintwork and back to your eye. Lots of little collisions
> means minute changes in the bikes velocity (albeit immesurable).

Sadly this doesn't work, photons don't have any mass otherwise they
wouldn't be able to travel at the speed of light.

Different colours do however have different perceptual weights as I
demonstrated in research published as:

Balance in pictures. I.C. McManus, D. Edmondson and J. Rodger
British Journal of Psychology (1985), 76, 311-324

To save you looking it up the perceptual weights of the colours produced
bt the separate RGB phosphors came out as Red heavier than Blue heavier
than Green.

The real relevance of this paper to the Sprint world is that it suggests
why the RS has the big silver RS stickers. If you paint out the stickers
on a picture of an RS it gives you a large block of solid colour which
tends to make the bike look front heavy. If you put it next to an
unmodified picture the modified fairing looks like it comes down a few
inches lower.

Dave