bike totalage and "cash value"(Re: [ST] Rookie questions)

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 02:57:24PM -0500, Tom Emberson wrote:
> one. Of course, it looks like the ST will get totalled, I was talking
> to the claims agent, who said, since the basic engine, frame, swing arm
> and such are all still in great shape, just cosmetic damage, the salvage
> value will probably be fairly high. If they give me NADA ($7800) for it
> then I will probably take that, and look to replace it in the spring.
> I have no long distance trips planned until next summer anyway.
>
> Otherwise, I will see what they offer, and then decide how much I
> will have the shop do, and how much I will do myself. I was thinking
> about painting the bike this fall anyway, so that will take
> care of all the scratches except for the rip in the lower
> left fairing.

This is an interesting topic to me, since the Dairyland adjuster just
left my house.  He said the bike will be a total loss, and their Phoenix
office will have a price for me next week.

He said they call dealer's in the area to get an idea of what the bike's
worth, but is that the retail value or the trade-in?

Tom mentioned N.A.D.A.  nadaguide.com seems to list retail values, with
avg retail for a 99 ST being US$5910.  kbb.com lists the trade-in value as
$5210 and the retail as $7525.  Which is more realistic?

Laters,
Brian
- --
'99 ST (one less black ST on the road)