Re: [ST] Sprockets and Chain Maintenance

On Fri Oct 18 at 09:32:35 AM, colt4530@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> What is the best way to clean the chain before relubing it?  I clean my
> bicycle chains with a citrus solvent soaked rag and relube when it's dry.
> I have no idea what that solvent, or others, might do the the x-ring seals.
> I must have done something similar to my Interceptor, but it's been gone so
> long I can't remember.

This seems to be more of a religious question than an actual maintenance
question.  I'm betting no 2 people on this list agree on what is best :)

Clean it with something...or dont.  Keep it lubed..with something.  If
it comes in a can that says its for lubricating motorcycle chains you should
be ok.  My roomate has a bike with 37 k miles with the original chain and
I have never seen him clean it.  Last time it was in for service they
said it wasn't streched out of spec.  Then again on an 855cc tiger he
isn't doing 0-60 runs so maybe it doesn't get stressed as much.

Wes

- --
My old sig was about Vaxen and VMS but I can't even figure out
the name of the company that owns them anymore.