Re: [ST] Re: ST improvements

Antilocks brakes would be a nice option.  I know I would get them. As for the
rest of the bike I am pretty happy.  If you are constantly upgrading little
parts here and there in a design is will make it harder to get the replacement
you need 5 years from now when they have a new ST model.  I have had a few
older cars and the ones that stuck to a good design and had a long run
are easy to find parts for both new and in wrecking yards. The ones that
only went a year or two and then they redid the whole thing slightly but
with all new parts are a major pain.

Incidently old british cars are some of the best for finding parts.  You
can even get an entirely new MGB chassis today.  Jaguar parts from the MK
series are the same way.

Wes

On Fri Sep 20 at 10:18:33 PM, Erik Miner wrote:

> I did miss a couple of small items but I didn't want to slam a good machine
> too much. The mirror condoms could certainly go away, but the Hard Bags
> really do need attention the mounts after a few thousand miles do get
> loose.. really loose.. At the Eastern Rallye I spent much time following
> other folks and some of the bags looked like they were gonna come off they
> bounced around so much. A simple anchor like Aprilia uses on their setup
> would eliminate the problem. Hell mine got so loose I got my dealer to
> replace the mounts under warranty! I guess my main complaint is that it
> seems to me that Triumph comes out with a good design and then just lets it
> sit. And I can't figure out why?? Is it the marketing weenies? Is it
> arrogance?   I'm sorry but there is always room to improve and refine a
> design and that's what keeps people in the fold,  it's how a company builds
> a loyal customer base. And say what you will about the styling of the new
> VFR it sure does ride nice .. and I love ABS brakes!
>
> Erik
>

> At 02:27 PM 9/20/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> >In a message dated 9/19/02 11:57:23 PM Central Daylight Time,
> >owner-st-digest@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
> >
> >>  No suspension upgrades .. looks like ZERO mechanical
> >>  upgrades..  C'mon Triumph we are now into the 5th year of production
> >>  with
> >>  out any real upgrades..
> >Had to chime in here.  As a former owner waiting to see what improvements
> >Triumph might make to lure me back,  I couldn't agree more.  There are many
> >bikes now available that were not when the ST came out in 99,  Futura, FZ1,
> >FJR1300  etc.
> >We took a poll once on recommended improvements and the list is longer than
> >you think.
> >Besides the obvious suspension ( I feel this is more a problem with the
> >hefty
> >riders)  Simple refinements:  Better mirrors(loose the condoms) Dual trip
> >meters (it is a sport tourer)  Better integrated hard bag setup
> >(Futura,r1100s) While your at it move the seat lock forward (so you can get
> >the seat off without removing the bag first) Helmet lock.  The list goes
> >on.
> >All said it is still a great bike for the money,  Way better than the new
> >and
> >screwed up VFR (say something Scott).
> >
> >David "Bird Dawg" Viosca
> >00 V11S "Kermit"
> >99ST "Stealthy one" (RIP)
> >"keep your nose off the pavement"
> >
> >     *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *
> >*   *
> >      The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by Jack Lilley Ltd.
> >          http://www.TriumphNet.com/st/lilley for more info

>     *

- --
My old sig was about Vaxen and VMS but I can't even figure out
the name of the company that owns them anymore.

End of st-digest V2002 #533