Re: [ST] Abuse and neglect

pattib@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>So my question is this:  is there anything in particular that I should
>be cleaning, changing, replacing, doing, or watching for after letting
>the bike sit that long?  Tires, obviously, but they're fine.  Anything
>else?

My ST tends to sit for months until I have a chance to ride it (I'm in the
US, it's in Scotland).  The brakes tend to seize up - I usually give the
lever/pedal several squeezes to try to get the callipers moving before I
ride off, then test the brakes a few yards down the road.  The dusty smell
you noticed was probably the pads heating up on the discs, until they freed
off again.

I was advised by a maintenance guy in the shop to have a look at the fork
seals - apparently older fork seals tended to dry up if they were left in
one position for a long time, then they would fail when the bike was used
again.  I didn't see any problems with these last time I rode the bike after
a long interval, so perhaps modern fork seal materials don't have this
problem.

Safe riding!

Neil