Re: [ST] Frame sliders

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 10:15:57AM -0400, James Goldston wrote:
> Looks like that frame is toast!

Not only the frame, that's the head too.

> Sorry to bring it up old memories, Brian, but would you remind us of
> what you think about it all?  E.g., are you against all frame sliders,
> do you not like the JLs (why), was the impact such that it would have
> caused any frame slider to break the frame, was it a fluke, ...

I have not decided whether I will get sliders again.  I tend to think
that even without them, my bike would have been totalled (high-side at
about 20mph), but I'll never that for sure.

I do think the JL/Moku slider was just too solid.  All that impact went
right into the frame.  The Skyking slider has a groove machined around
it where the stalk is designed to bend or shear off and deflect extreme
stresses, it seems.  This is what happened to Duncan's bike.  The two
incidents were similar.  He was maybe going 30-40mph, so perhaps there
was more glancing force than mine.

My bike had a cracked frame, an instant ticket to total-dom.  His had
cheese-gratered bodywork and a seriously tweaked front end, which was
later deemed a write-off.  6 of one, half dozen of the other.

The best advice: keep the rubber side DOWN!  :b

Laters,
Brian
- --
Euless, TX