RE: [ST] Oh the conflicting info! WAS-> Need Oil Filter Alternatives

>Hey guys, let's put this 600 mile thing in perspective.  600 miles is a
>reccommendation, but it is NOT an absolute.  Think about it, what matters
>is
>how long the engine is running, not how many miles the bike does.
>

>Mort H.
>00 ST

Actually, I think the more critical factor for break-in is the number of
full heat cycles the engine gets.  The 600 mile number is based on the
average number of the cycles the engineers expect to happen in that span.
(and yes, the actual miles are also a factor, as is RPM, hours, etc....)
BUT IIRK, the manual does recommend several short runs vs. fewer long runs.

Bottom line, going 800 even 1000 miles on the break-in should not be a
problem and may even be a benefit, provided the bike is treated properly (no
wheelies during break-in, or burnouts, ok?)

duncan
dallas