RE: [ST] head bearing gone at 6000 miles

> In hindsight, I realise that the first
> sign of the bearing failing was about 4 months ago (5500 miles) when I
> felt the steering snatch. This happened only once and I didn't even
> consider that the head bearing could be failing - I put it down to the
> clutch cable snagging as it slides through its wire guide.

I think I experienced this the other day.

> Has anyone else had a head bearing go - especially at low mileage?

Not long after I got my bike (used with 13.5K) I took it to have the
bearing tightness checked as it would make a thunking noise sometimes
and the steering seemed to lose when trying to balance at a traffic
light. From the dealers reaction it would seem that lose head bearings
are a common problem on the ST. I know that if a bearing is too tight
you will get early failure not sure what happens when it is too lose.

> Is 6000 miles a reasonable life for a head bearing?

No!

> Am I right to feel let down by Triumph?

The only thing I can think off in their defense is that they do not know
how you treated the bike. For all they know you could be a wheelie king
:)

Rupert