Re: [ST] Stumbling Sprint - ideas?

Keith,
   Thanks for the tip.  I passed it along to the tech and
he didn't find anything wrong with the housing.  However,
he did finally figure out the problem.  He noticed some
marks on the original timing pickup and found they came
from the timng disk which was a bit loose and misaligned.
R/R both and now it's back to normal.  The ride back from
the dealer was great! Now I gotta make up for the lost
riding time...

Rob

> I had this exact problem on my 2000 RS. Have the mechanic
> check the throttle stepper motor housing; if it's cracked
> (which is not an uncommon occurrence) it will bleed air
> into the throttle bodies and mess up the FI map.
>
> -Keith
> '03 Blackbird
>
> Thursday, July 29, 2004, 11:42:00 AM, ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:
>
>> My '99 Sprint ST went to the shop for the 12k service and
>> also to correct a problem where the bike would stumble
>> pulling away from a stop.  Went to pick it up & they
>> couldn't replicate the stumbling problem, but on the ride
>> home, it did it from about 1/2 the stops. I took it back,
>> the head tech took it out and had it happen to him. No
>> trouble codes were stored in the engine 'puter.  They
>> replaced the timing pickup, but that wasn't it.  They've
>> now had it a 4 weeks
>> and still haven't figured it out (I wrenched my ankle - so
>> I really didn't miss much saddle time), so I'm tempted to
>> just get it back and trying to fix it myself/find another
>> mechanic.
>>
>> Symptoms:  Got the Sprint last Oct. w/9k miles, and it
ran
>> flawlessly for almost 3k [s]miles until late June when the
>> stumbling started. Initially it was just once a ride and
>> has gotten worse. It stumbles pulling away from a stop,
and
>> sometimes dies completely. Usually restarts right away,
>> sometimes requires a bit of cranking, on rare occasions
>> takes a lot of cranking to restart.  If you rev it to
around
>> 3k w/ the clutch pulled in, the engine speeed seems to
waver