[ST] URGENT, Ortega Hwy in Danger

Hey all you SoCal listers (and everone else on the list who cares)

I just received the note below froma friend in SandyEggo (our friend Bill,
Doggydo)

Y'all might want to get on the stick, this sounds serious.

Hey MarcD, you gots political connections, what can be done?

dunc

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All,

I'm sorry to say this is not a joke... Please read all of this!!!

While attending our Ride To Eat lunch event yesterday at Hells' Kitchen,
Tyler Paulsen shared information with me that CalTrans is planning on
closing Ortega Highway between the Riverside/Orange County line for a
distance of three miles... for 2-YEARS!

This work is to be done, under the guise of 'Safety Improvments'. Copies of
the plan and Environmental Impact Study ( this had a color photo of a frog
on the cover...!) were shown at an emergency meeting held last evening at
Hells Kitchen. In attendance were residents of the local community of El
Cariso Village, Rancho Capistrano, and Lake Elsinore. CalTrans plans to
blast into the mountain to add three miles of 'safety shoulders', at a cost
of $27 million of YOUR hard earned dollars! It also appears that this
project is politically motivated by Orange County politicians, who don't
give a damn about the folks in Riverside County. Additionally, widening the
roadway in this area will allow longer semi-trucks to use the 74. Just what
we need, more big trucks on Ortega?!

WHO WILL BE AFFECTED? Everyone who lives in Southen California who uses
Highway 74 for commuting or recreation! The Hon. Mayor of Lake Elsinore was
just made aware of this after securing 17 million dollars to build a marina
complex and clean up the areas around the lake for recreational users and
community improvements. Stopping the flow of visitors to the Lake from
Orange County will kill community plans for developing the area, not to
mention property values. Those of us who have had to divert our commutes to
the 15/91/55 due the the last CalTrans screw up after they (yes, it was
thier fault...) caused the collapse of a 100' section of the roadway near
Antonio and La Pata in Orange County, know what a HOLY HELL it will be to
try and get to work on the 91.

WHAT CAN YOU DO? Go to
<http://www2.dot.ca.gov/dist12/sr74.htm>http://www2.dot.ca.gov/dist12/sr74.htm,
and educate yourself on the impact of this boondoggle. Click on the 'comment
form and mail it to the address shown.

WE DON'T HAVE MUCH TIME! The sneaky bastards at Caltrans will close the
public comment period on APRIL 11, 2005. Our only hope after this is to go
after our local elected officials. ( ala: Political Human Sacrifice...)

PLEASE ACT NOW, by printing the form and mailing it to Praveen Gupta,
Environmental Branch Chief at CalTrans. Write a short statement that 'I
oppose any changes to Ortega Highway and will use any and every resource,
including litigation to stop this project'. For every form they recieve,
they figure at least 1,000 people feel the same way! They must get these by
April 11th!

LATER? We are forming a Community Action Group to fight this plannned
destruction of one of the last Scenic byways in Southern California. If you
can help, please reply to this e-mail, and we will keep you informed of
developments... You can also attend a meeting in Lake Elsinore on April
14th, at the cultural center with the Mayor, and learn what he will be
doing.
George Swetland

eL Donut
jinete en la tormenta