Re: [ST] Replacement Instruments...?

On 7 Jun 2005, at 18:06, Russell wrote:

As you will see, it mounts out of the way quite well, but everything is still quite easy to read.

Yes, looks pretty clean.

But I wonder if anyone would accept a new bike that had its speedo fitted in that way? People spend a lot of time and money on making (some) bikes look integrated - from the cute pannier mounting system Emile has on his ST through to the large amounts people spend on 'undertrays' and 'mini indicators' on sports bikes. But currently for GPS it seems to be OK to stick it on a pole bolted either to the fairing mounts or the frame near the petrol tank. I realise that some of this is simple expediency ('there is no where else to put it'), and is maybe the best solution if you just want to get one on your bike. But it won't be long now (I suspect) before they come fitted on top end sports tourers - and when that happens I suspect the manufacturers will find better ways of mounting them than currently. My wondering about replacement instruments is along those lines - perhaps anticipating how they will be fitted in future. Think it might be and interesting (if expensive) winter project...

Regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03