Re: [ST] RE:Octane

On 6/15/05, Solomon, Jack S <jack.s.solomon@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think my manual says to use 95 ROM gas.  The pumps here in the US use a different calculation for octane that yields numbers like 87, 89 and 91.  Which of these is the correct stuff?

The octane value directly relates to how much compression the
gas/petrol can take before there is pre-ignition.

I run 89 and have never had any pinging. I tried 87 and on a hot day
there was some pinging. Some people claim that you should run the
lowest octane you can without
pinging as it burns cleaner, more quickly, leaving less crap behind
building up on the back side of the valves.

There is no benefit to using a higher octane than you need.
>From Mobil
"Ordinarily, your vehicle will not benefit from using a higher octane
than is recommended in the owner's manual. But if your engine knocks
or pings at the recommended octane level, you may need a higher octane
gasoline to prevent the knock. Knocking may occur under certain
conditions. A small percentage of vehicles may knock because of
variations in engines of the same model due to manufacturing
tolerances, or because of an unusual build-up of engine deposits
during the first 15,000 miles of driving. Other factors such as
extremely hot weather, changes in altitude or hard driving conditions
(like towing a heavy load) may also cause knocking. "

As far as what is 95RON in (RON + MON)/2 I cannot seem to find a
simple answer. It would also be interesting to find out want Triumph
USA recommend.

Rupert