Re: [ST] Torque question

Thanks to all who replied to my question about torque and tips on
chain/sprocket replacement.

Someone, (Bil?) had suggested using a Dremel too to remove the old
chain's link. I didn't get that email before I stuck the 4-1/2" angle
grinder in the pannier and rode home. The Dremel would have been much
lighter to carry but I imagine that the angle grinder was much faster at
the job.

I needed to run to Sears Hardware and pick up a 1-3/8" socket, a 1-7/16
socket and a 1-1/2" socket. I didn't know which one I needed so I shot
for what I figured was the neighboring sizes. It was the 1-7/16".

A tip that no one gave: loosen up all the nuts and bolts before removing
the chain. This way you can use the rear brake to prevent the engine
from spinning while trying to break the main drive nut.

I was able to clean off several wads of gunk that had amassed in all the
normally inaccessible places near the chain.

While replacing the chain rub strip I discovered it makes live easier if
one removes the hugger. No need to completely remove it; just take out
all the screws and push it out of the way. I also learned that the strip
is held in place by torx screws, not crud encrusted allen screws.

I also discovered that when the sun is going down and my son tells me
that "There is something wrong with the computer," and I find that the
hard drive has crashed, it is better to finish the task at hand before
reinstalling Windows on another hard drive, reinstalling software and
cursing the thing out. (Happy ending: I was eventually able to access
all of the data files on the hard drive. It was as if I had backed it up
moments before the crash!)

Oh yeah. And the chain replacement was a success. I rode to work in the
deluge that is hitting the NYC area this morning!

- --
Steve Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to
prayer."
             -- Mark Twain