Re: [ST] Fuel Economy

On 4/26/06, Gavin Lawrie <gavin.lawrie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would have thought you would be able to get almost all the way to
> Santander by road as quickly as it would cost to go to UK and then
> get the boat.

Yes, correct.

>You'd save plenty of cash too.

Nope, I've calculated all the alternatives (also via train) including all the
details. It's a pretty big load of fuel, add to that the toll of the French
roads and the extra accomodation costs it is almost exactly the same
costs. But 2 long days over the French freeways will cause a lot of
fatigue, having fun with a group on the boat for the same amount of
time and same costs sounds like a better and less tiring option
(if the sea isn't too rough at least...).

> Probably more fun along the way -
> I'd rather ride in France than along UK motorways any
> day: get off the autoroute and it is even more fun...

Well, the French motorways aren't that much fun. Especially for
two days non stop. You can get off the autoroute, but that would
take 1 or 2 more days which I'd rather spend discovering the green
part of Spain. We have a long week to do stuff, that would mean
we would cut the days we have there in two which is a shame.
There's also a few riders that don't have high speed Sprints...
riding a Transalp at high speed isn't that comfy either.

Emile
www.piloot.com