Re: [ST] rear brake sensitivity question

First off, the rear brake is considered generally weak on this bike.  However, depending on how hard you are braking, with the geometry of the bike almost all of the weight transfers to the front end - making the rear end light and thus having very little normal force to have a lot of traction.  This is all about how hard you are braking on the front though.

  I think most of us with the Sprint would agree that if you are going down the road and hit the rear brake by itself, the effect is so nominal it's almost non-existent.  The rear brake does help set the attitude of the bike for corners though - really the only reason I even use it, aside from pulling away from a stop on a hill.

  On other bikes, the rear brake has been substantially stronger.  Maybe you're just a lucky one and got a great rear brake!!!  Just learn to use it as needed like the front one.

  Matt Heyer

pjs962003-sprintst@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
  i have had my '03 sprint st now for almost a year, and i have noticed the rear brake is much more sensitive then it was on my speed four. i talked to my brother in law who has a speed triple, and he says his is pretty weak. mine seems to be extra sensitive, during hard stops it locks up almost everytime. i took the motorcycle safety foundation advanced course last year and noticed this also along with the instructors.

is something wrong with it, or is this just a character of this bike. or is it a riding error on my part (a possibility only been riding for 2 years)? it locked up again on saturday and it wasn't a hard stop at all? wondering if the dealer could dial it back a little. i am not locking up the front otherwise i might be writing this from the hospital or repair shop (knocking on wood)...

philip
03' sprint st "the royal banana"