Re: [ST] Rear brakes gone bung 2001 Sprint ST

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Kevin Byram wrote:

> After pulling into the garage last weekend I noticed a grinding sound coming from the rear and low and behold, looks like the right side rear brake pads are shiznit. Dummy me, did not seem to think they looked bad at all when I changed the rear tire this past spring. Some scoring on the outer 1/4" of  the rotor doesn't look too severe.

How does it look now?

> Do bike shops turn rotors?

I don't konw any around here (Seattle, WA, US) that do. Maybe in your
area. Most auto parts stores don't seem to do this any more (US).

The "new" conventional wisdom says.. don't bother. If they are scored
severely you should be replacing them, not turning them. If they aren't
scored that badly then they'll just eat a bit into your "cheap" (ie:
relative to a rotor) new pads before they are properly bedded. Turning
rotors thins the entire rotor, but it still has the same amount of heat
and stress to deal with. If you thin it out too much then it will just
warp.

I believe our manuals also indicate that the rotors should not be turned,
only replaced.

> I've order some Galfer after market semi metallic.
> Should I just go ahead a put new pads on? .

That's what I would do if the scoring isn't so bad that you think you need
a new rotor.