Re: [St] 2000 ST brake pads

For what it is worth, I have the original stock pads
on my 02 RS with 21k miles. I havent changed them yet
as I have not needed to, but here are my thoughts for
when I do:

I am tempted to go with the stock pads again. My RS
stops far better than any bike I have ever owned,
including and especially, my 99 VFR with linked brakes
and my 99 Superhawk with braided lines all around, and
Brembo cast iron floating rotors up front. What is
really interesting is the comparison between the
Superhawk and the RS, both of which I still have. The
Superhawk stops just fine, and has plenty of stopping
power, but requires alot of lever pressure to generate
it, to the point of my right forearm aching at the end
of the day. Its brakes also lack the feel of the RS. I
can haul the RS down from any speed with two fingers
on the lever, enormous stopping power with little
pressure, and very good feel. here is where it gets
interesting: The brake systems are close to identical.
The pads are interchangeable, the caliper pistons are
the same size, both made by Nissin. The master
cylinders are both the same size, and are almost
interchangeable. (I actually bought an extra Triumph
MC on ebay in hopes of mounting it on the
Superhawk...havent gotten around to that yet... ).
Stock rotors appear to be made of the same material.
OK, the RS rotors are a bit bigger in diameter, but it
is also a heavier bike. For such nearly identical
brake systems, the stopping of each bike is radically
different. I can only assume it is the brake pad
material. I have not only considered replaceing the RS
pads with OEM, I have considered using them on the the
Superhawk as well...

Just my own narrow minded and perhaps way off base
point of view....

John