Re: [St] Score! and helmet life

The claims made by manufacturers have some validity to them as well as serving to save them from getting sued if you wear a ten year old helmet and bang your head on something and it splits open.

At the end of the day, nothing lasts forever. Different climates have differing effects, so as an example, on my little island of Oz, we are well aware of the detrimental effects of our hot climate. Plastics are particularly susceptible to break down from the harsh sun. Fibreglass and composite helmets will also eventually breakdown. As a rule of thumb we say a plastic helmet is good for three years of everyday use, exotic materials five years.

I believe there have been studies done on this type thing. I'm sure the interweb would be able to dig something up for you.

Brett

Get a FREE AOL Email account with unlimited storage. Experience Email and instant messaging together - chat while you mail and mail while you chat! Register for your free email account at http://free.aol.com.au