Re: [St] Not quite a tire thread.......

I bought one of the little compressors that Slime sells. After using
Blake's stripped down compressor I decided to go with one that was
safely enclosed.

On our Utah KLR ride we used the compressor a lot to air back up
after riding off road. Using a stripped down compressor had several
disadvantages.

1. It gets really hot and you can burn yourself on it if your not
careful.

2. It's moving parts are in the open and can get jammed if little
bits of gravel get into the moving bits.

3. You have to wait for everything to cool down before packing it away.

It didn't really pack much lighter or smaller than the small one that
Slime sells.

I would definitely recommend going the compressor route over
cartridges though. Especially if you also own a dual sport.

On Feb 26, 2008, at 9:02 AM, Nathan Maher wrote:

> There used to be instructions online (bmw related, IIRC) about how to
> strip down a relatively inexpensive compressor so that it was
> reasonably
> compact and light weight.  I'd google around for a bit and see
> what's out
> there before making any purchases.
>
> Nate
> 00SprintRS
>
> Dan Wallander wrote:
>> I carried  a 12V tire compressor for the first time on a long trip
>> this
>> summer and ended up using it every day.  It was a bad tire trip.

Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA - http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/
motorcycles
  '99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
  '01 KLR650 (A15) - for exploring the North Coast backroads
  '97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
  '79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned