Re: 207's and Mobil 1

At 10:50 AM 06/16/1999 -0700, Mark Ressa wrote:
>Bridgestones burned out after 4,200 miles and handled OK. I was also
>thinking of putting a GP on the front and a street compound on the rear. I
>use to do this with the 204's and would end up replacing the fronts and the
>rears at the same time. Any thoughts/comments on any of this?

Not sure, but I'd be interested to hear a valid explanation. I've always
heard that you should not mix tread patterns / profiles but have not heard
anything on mixing compounds. Did you ask Mickey at OCT for his opinion?

>About the oil, Triumph sells its own version of Mobil 1 and costs about
>twice as much as Mobil 1 at the local auto parts store. Does anyone know
>why we should be paying $12 a quart (i.e., $48 per container) for the
>Triumph branded Mobil 1 as opposed to about $4-5 a quart at the local Pep
>Boys?

First, not sure why you would be paying $48 - most shops sell it at $39.99
US (or within $1-2).

Second, it is liter based, so you are getting ~4.25 quarts of oil

Third, it is the Mobil 1 MX4T which is the motorcycle formulation, which is
priced at autozone at $7.99US (not the standard Mobil 1 which is $4-5
quart). At the $8, (plus having to buy the extra quart) you are pretty
close to what the dealer is (or should be) selling it for.

Some on the list will say it is just a rip-off conspiracy initiated by
Triumph and Mobil and you should just use whatever is available. For the
money involved I prefer to stay with what Triumph recommends ....

Just my .02

- - Eric
I really need to add this to the FAQ's ......