ST Transport

I have never trailered my ST, but have transported it a numerous of
occasions in the back of my pickup.  My advice for trailering is to invest
in mud/stone guards for the tow vehicle.  Below is an explanation of 'how I
do it'.  I have done several three to four hour trips configured this way
and have not yet had a single problem.  Getting the bike into the bed of the
truck is a different story, but a question was raised on the list regarding
lashing, so I will keep on the subject of lashing your ST.

First I would like to advise against strapping the front end down tightly.
I have done this and have found that the straps have a way of temporarily
deforming the grips in a big way, plus I have to worry about the throttle
being twisted, and the bar-end vibration dampeners being pulled off, or
bending a bar, etc...

I use a six point lashing system along with a sturdy home-made wheel chock.

Starting from the back of the bike, I use straps from the ST's pillion
handle to the aft anchor points in the pickup bed (which happen to be
forward of the ST pillion handle).  I put the majority of the force on these
straps (using by body weight to compress the rear suspension).  These straps
prevent the bike from tipping, and pull the bike forward slightly.

For fun, I then run two more straps from the passenger footpeg brackets to
the forward anchor points in the pickup bed (this holds the bike in the
truck and pulls it forward).

For a safety backup, I run straps from the handlebars to the front anchor
point in the pickup bed.  I use light tension on these straps, as I only
want them tensioned in the event that the other straps fail, or if the front
wants to rise on a bump.

Since the pickup bed has shallow channels, I do not worry about the tires
slipping out from under the bike.

- -David Arnett
99 Sprint ST (red)
95 GMC Sonoma Pickup (red)
00 Klein Mantra Comp mountain bicycle (blue)