[ST] Re: RS Starting Problems

"Roger Downham" <r.downham@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Jeff
> Thanks for the offer but I  wouldn't want to put you through that unless
> it's the last resort. I'm hoping the dealer  will find the problem himself
> but if not I'll give him the info I have received from others about the fuel
> mapping and the valve in the fuel overflow line as well as the possibility
> of corroded connections. I doubt it is the latter though since the bike is
> only a month or so old.

Turns out it was near the top of a very big pile. This bike was ridden
by Triumph Canada boss Chris Ellis during a weeklong Rocky Mountain
Motorcycle Holidays tour in BC when it was virtually brand new, then was
shipped to Toronto.  It started having problems soon after that, so it
was almost new then as well.  Starting became difficult, then it cut out
on the road, although it would restart.  "The problem was simply
corrosion at a junction in the wiring harness between the ECU and fuel
pump". They go on to speculate that the junction was either not
connected solidly, ungreased, or some other way flawed from the factory
and so allowed moisture to penetrate and cause the corrosion.

> Thanks
> Roger Downham
> 00 RS Eclipse Blue

- --