Re: Posting formats (OT)

In your message regarding Re: Posting formats (OT) dated Mon, 8 Jan 2001
07:27:01 -0800, Neil Lindsey said that ...

>NL-  As far as viruses are concerned I think you have it bass ackwards.  Ooutlook
>NL-  Express is a primary target for virus attack precisley because so many
>NL-  people use it, not because it is a big problem.

Not quite true - there were/are a number of vulnerabilities in Outlook and
Outlook Express which have been addressed (sometimes after the horse had
bolted) which are limited to these products and, more recently, on some
other email clients which use M$ Internet Explorer to view HTML messages.
Most of the recent ones concerned the fact that viewing an HTML message
with an Active X script embedded in the message allowed the script to be
executed (eg KAK Worm).

A search using the phrase 'Outlook Express' at http://www.cert.org/ will
list the numerous security vulnerabilities which have been found.

Also go to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.asp and search
on which version of Outlook and MSIE you own which will show which patches
are available for these products.

- --
Mike Bostock
mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx