Re: Speedo accuracy

- ----- Original Message -----
From: <Darren_Mason@xxxxxxxxxx>

> >>the percentage error should be consistent at any speed
>
> Not necessarily, although an electronic device is more likely to be
> accurate through the range than a mechanical one.
> I dont want to recalibrate mine to be spot on at 100 kmh + if it is
already
> accurate at low speed. I was hoping someone could verify this first.

I don't think we've heard from anyone who has a speedometer that is accurate
at any speed -- I have a BC800 and as far as I can recall, when I compared
it to the stock speedo the error *rate* of the Triumph speedo was consistent
no matter what the speed

> >>not sure if this is possible -- no one has mentioned an
> >>accessible calibration adjustment.
> I am sure being electronic, there would be a calibration pot. But I havent
> looked yet to see if the speedo is a sealed unit, in which case it may not
> be accessible.

I don't think you're going to find that calibration pot unless you're
willing to do some serious disassemby, so why not just invest the approx $30
in something that is already very accurate -- in fact if your's is as far
off as you report a BC800 could provide the proof that would otherwise be
very difficult to get, or the tool that could be used to do the calibration

> >>why not just invest a few bucks in a BC800 computer?
> >>you get an accurate speedo, and many other speed/tripmeter features
>
> At the risk of offending a lot of people on this list... I really cannot
> see the point in doing this. The bike already has a speedo, why waste
money
> fitting another one. My speedo is inaccurate, I know by how much & can
> allow for this. If I really want a scientifically accurate speedo, I will
> find a way to calibrate mine.

no offense taken or intended, but I guess you'd prefer to waste your
valuable time than a few bucks -- let us know if you find that pot

> Then I can sit & wonder how inaccurate my
> speedo gets as the tyre wears, changing the rolling diameter of it. The
> bike already has a trip meter & I am not interested in average speeds or
> laptimes or etc.

with the BC800 you can re-calculate and store a new conversion factor to
compensate for the decreased diameter of your wearing tiyres if you really
want to -- BTW, multiple trip meters can be very handy although I agree in
general with your comment about the other features (average speed. etc.)