Re: [ST] Re: Gas mileage?

I do not have the smell of gas when the bike is off.  However, when I start
it there is a heavy smell of rich gas.  I discovered that the previous owner
had a triumph carbon fiber can on it prior to selling it to me.  He put the
stock one back on before selling the bike to me.  I called a triumph dealer
and asked if the bike should be retuned to the stock can.  They said
definitely, and that a "can" that was not matched to the tune could cause
bad gas mileage.  Sooo, I took it in and had them download a tune.  It made
ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE, the mileage is the same.  I just got back from a
ride, and sure enough the light came on at 120 miles.  I rode until the gas
gauge was almost out of red at 133 miles. I topped off the tank and it took
exactly 4.7 gallons, so I had .9 of a gallon left before the fill-up.  SO
WHAT'S WRONG???  The bike has 8,000 miles on it and is not due for a valve
adjustment until 12,000, could valves be the problem?  The dealer also said
I had an exhaust leak but he didn't have time to fix it.  Any ideals?  I had
hoped the tune would fix the problem, guess not!  VB