Tank Slap

Chris,
          You shouldn't get a tank slapper on an RS or ST,  the wheelbase,
steering geometry and very rigid frame make my RS (same frame
as ST) as stable as a rock, and it has a reputation for being so.  You only
get tank slappers with very quick steering bikes nowadays and
stiill I believe that something is out of line to cause it, or
manufacturers would fit steering dampers as standard equipment.  I believe
that the steering on the RS is quicker than an ST due to higher back wheel
ride height making the effective rake of the forks steeper.

Reasons

1)  It's been pranged and something is out of line.  You don't say if you
have had the bike from new and some frames can be straightened, good enough
to fool the next buyer and your local 'Mr Straightenit's' jig but not good
enough to stop tankslappers.    Could have been dropped and therefore is
out of line.  This is the most serious cause.

2)  Check that the back wheel is not out of line.  On chain adjustment you
could have the back wheel 'on different notches on each side'

3)  What is the mileage, check head bearings for play, check forks for
play, check wheel bearings for play, check swing arm bushes for play.
These allow things to move out of line.

I have never known a new bike, sold without a steering damper get the
wobbles.   I did once have a bike that somersaulted down the road after I
flipped it in the wet and although it looked all OK, at about 80mph it
could suddenly go into a vicious wobble that I found quite frightening.

Nick.