Re: [ST] [Re: Mobil Technical Questions]

Peckham . wrote:
- -

> What about Amsoil?  It's a lot less and is supposed to be as good as
> mobil 1. See http://www.amsoil.com/products/amo.html.
>
> I've never tried it but have heard good things.  Any opinions?

you asked for opinions on an oil thread?   this must be a troll.  YIKES!

AMSOIL is good oil.  I have seen teardowns on motors (abused race
motors) and amsoil run motors show wear on the important parts (cams,
bearings etc) similar to other motors running synth. oils.  AMSOIL has a
  cult following.  perhaps because it is good oil, and it is not
available at the chains (adding to the mystique?).  I run Mobil 1 and
AMSOIL in my race bikes.  I've also run Motul full synth (pricey).  The
only real conclusion which can come from an oil debate is for a group of
us, on similar bikes, doing a similar ride, starting from fresh oil
(keeping a sample), sending samples of the new and used oils (2 or 3
bikes running each brand -- AMSOIL, the various mobil 1s) to a lab.
Triumph riders tend to be quirky geeky types, and I suggest that we add
the little "test" to a rallye next year.   This isn't an expensive
undertaking, and it will create some real data for use in the long
standing oil debate(s) which come up on lists.  Hmmm.  perhaps it's an
excuse for it's own rallye -- The "great oil debate" rallye.

- --chuck
02 ST (with fresh mobil 1 in it ..  and I ain't sayin' which one)