First Bike

     Greg,  As you can see, there are a number of opinions about first
     bikes.  Like many others on the list, I rode dirt bikes when I was
     younger then took a 20+ year break.  Three years ago I got the bug
     again and started out with a 77 Triumph Bonneville that I ended up
     restoring.  Loved it, but craved newer technology, so bought an 85
     Honda 650 Nighthawk.  Great learner bike with plenty of power and not
     overly intimidating.  You are really the only one who can say for sure
     what you'll be comfortable with.  I personally would not have been
     comfortable on a Sprint ST without riding some lesser powered bikes
     first.  One consideration is the cost of repairs for dropping a fully
     faired bike.  Expensive!  In any case, enjoy the MSF class and
     whatever bike you chose.  Regards,

     Evan Taylor

     99 Sprint ST
     98 Sprint Exec