Re: Stainless Cans

Jonathon,
The magnet idea is not a bad starting point for checking for aluminum.  There
are a couple of pitfalls though.  Not all stainless attracts magnets.  A
magnet will fall right off high quality stainless steel due to its higher
nonferrous content and in fact, this is a good way to check stainless hardware
for quality.  Usually mufflers are not made from the good stuff because it
tends to be brittle and crack when heat cycled and exposed to vibration.  I
suggest checking the original muffler with a magnet first as the factory is
most likely to use the same steel for both mufflers. The magnet test could
also fail due to the possible construction of the muffler.  It is most likely
an aluminum wrap over steel so a strong magnet could stick even if it is the
aluminum can.  Try using a weak refrigerator magnet as this will be less
likely to attract to underlying steel.  If the magnet test does not work, try
comparing the color of the new can to the original.  Aluminum is a very white
metal and stainless is quite gray.  Lastly try some aluminum polish on a
inconspicuous area of the muffler.  After a few seconds of rubbing, the cloth
will come away very black on aluminum where the stainless will only leave a
little dirty spot due to the aluminum being a very soft metal compared to
stainless.  Hope this helps.
Dan