International Motorcycle Show (was Re: Off Topic - Bike to Bike Communication)

Matt Knowles wrote:

> So what else did I miss by having to move 1800 cubic feet of stuff up to
> Ferndale this weekend?

Surprisingly, not a whole lot. For whatever reason the trials bikes
weren't there -- they were replaced by some BMX stunt riders. Neat
stuff, but not enough "vroom vroom" for my taste. There weren't very
many vendors there, either -- at least compared with the Philly show
last year.

I did get to see and sit on the new Aprilia Futura sport tourer. The
ergos seemed very familiar! I really liked the looks, too -- except for
the seat. The seat looked like it was taken off a jet ski; the seat
material covered the entire rear end. Fortunately, one of the Aprilia
reps said they were already re-designing it. Also, interestingly, there
was a stamping on the frame that said "Benelli." I wasn't aware of any
collaboration between the two companies.

Lastly, I got the chance to meet Ted Simon! He was selling copies of his
books and promoting his upcoming trip around the world in the City Bike
booth. Unfortunately, it sounded like Triumph was not interested in
supporting him this time, so he's doing it on a BMW R80 instead. :-( The
neat thing is that he has a web site and is going to upload regular
reports on his progress: <http://www.mcn.org/b/jupitalia/default.html>.

- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Burlingame, CA, USA