RE: [ST] August 2003 Issue of Motorcyclist, what gives?

I'll admit that the ST is due for an overhaul.  We've had this bike for
almost 5 years without a major redesign.  Of course, I think the fact
that it still compares so well is a testament to its good design, but I
think its time for something fresh.

I just bought my '00 ST.  Its a perfect fit for me, and I think it
answers my riding "questions" better than the VFR.  Its not lacking in
terms of performance, and so far its been pretty reliable.  Nothings
really "kicking its tail" right now;  certainly not the VFR.  The FJR
is a different bike entirely, as is the ST1300, and the ZZR is merely a
minor refresh of a bike thats been around for a LONG time.  That being
said, its hard to stay competitive in this game if your not constantly
pushing the envelope.

To expect Triumph to adhere to the same R&D schedules as the big boys
is unrealistic to an extent.  The economics are too out of whack for
that to happen.  But 5 years should be reasonable for them.  Triumph
has a certain "up-market/something different" appeal that think would
fade a little with a ten year old design.  In short, I hope to see
Triumph redo the ST soon.  I hope its great, and I'd hope to trade up
in its second or third model year once they have the kinks worked out.

Now, this issue of Honda pandering journalists is another thing
entirely.  Honda rules the roost right now in this industry.  They do a
lot of good things, and in my eyes that buys them SOME slack, but they
get away with a lot of egregious stuff too.  Stuff that NO ONE else
would get a free ride on.  The current VFR, in many respects, is a
failure.  its needlessly complex, heavy, expensive, and applies
technology that produces no tangible benefits.  It did not address the
bikes primary short-commings, and it was also plagued early on with
electrical issues.  If you'll recall, the Motorcyclist test bike was
RECALLED by Honda and replaced with, I think, a ZX-12R.  Its still a
good bike, but it has lost that edge that originally inspired it to
greatness.

The crux of this, as we all know, is that Honda spends a TON of
advertising dollars.  They can choose where to apply these dollars, and
would likely not apply them in a publication that gave consistently
lack-luster reviews of its products.  Journalists, therefore, are
naturally biased (or at least their management is).  The solution?
Don't read the rags, or at least don't put too much faith into them
when choosing a new bike/car/shoe/etc.

To summarize, I don't let Triumph off the hook here:  they have to play
ball just like everyone else, but I give them some slack due to their
size and what they represent.

Eric.