Re: [ST] Stupid Tire Wear Question

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 09:09:23 -0400, Garry Simmons wrote:

>I picked up a small nail my original BT-020 rear tire at 500 miles. Shop
>found the slow leak at the 500 mile service, but wouldn't repair it, so I
>bought a new tire. The replacement now has 5700 miles on it. I just compared
>my barely used original to my worn replacement (side by side). It appears
>the replacement is NOT the same tire the bike came with. Tread pattern is
>different, although both say BT-020. Anway...

I think if you look closely you will find some letters after the BT-020, at least on
one of the tires. That should explain the different tread patterns. Take a look and
please post what you find.

>There is still a tiny lip ( < 1mm) between the tread and the wear bar on the
>replacement, but reasonable amounts of tread  (est. 2-3mm) once you get past
>the very middle of the tire.

It does not matter what part of the tire wears out first. If any part is below tread
minimums the tire is worn out.

>Question: While I realize this is somewhat subjective, how much life (if
>any) would you say my tire has in it? Until the tire is flush with the wear
>bar? Until wear bar is wearing/worn down? Until cords show? :-) :-)

I have discovered the hard way that there is almost no tread depth below the
bottom of the groves. So if you don't want to see cords, start looking for a new
tire as soon the wear is flush with the wear bars.

>FWIW, I plan on putting a Stop-n-Go internal vulcanizing patch on the
>original tire (from the inside, no reaming of tiny nail hole required) and
>running that until my front wears out, then replace them both sometime next
>season.

While I don't like to ride on a patched tire, the internal patch should be ok.
At least for YOU to ride.

David W. Funk
'00 Triumph Sprint ST
Pleasanton, CA