Re: [ST] Accidents (was (mandatory jail (was IDIOTS))

Every single mistake you or anyone else makes while driving a car or motorcycle
is potentially life threatening.  EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES, if anyone on this
list or anywhere else tells me they've never made a mistake while driving I
will believe they're lying. If that's true are we saying that only the mistakes
(of the billions that happen every day) that cause injury or loss of life are
criminal? (they can all be deadly it's just a matter of circumstance)

All definitions of "accident" aside...Humans make mistakes. They make them all
the time. They make them when writing email and they make them when they build
space shuttles. It doesn't matter how seriously they take what they're doing
they make mistakes. Humans are not machines.

That said...Our society has made it necessary for nearly everyone to operate a
huge, fast, dangerous, life threatening machine every day of our lives and you
can't change that. It's a daily activity as common as scratching your ass (and
we train them about as well to do it). The loss of life in the process of this
way of life is inevitable you can't change that either.

I will contend that a simple mistake while driving that injures or takes a life
is unfortunate but not criminal.  Until we change the way we allow people to
operate this type of machinery it's just innocent people going about their
daily lives and I don't think they should go to jail because they make a
mistake.

There is such a zone of comfort built into the operation of vehicles and unless
you change that you will never be able to punish everyone who makes a mistake
or has an "accident".  It wouldn't be fair or beneficial to anyone.

It's a freakin death trap out there and you take your chances every time you
step out in public. It's sad but it's true.

Steve Bergman