RE: [ST] RE: Brett - been there

>From: simonb
>RE: DCBS The only thing I can find on Google is Blackbird or CBR web
>sites. No independent test seem to be available. But I can remeber MCN
>testing which gave the opposite results. I think one of the testers fell
>off the CBR1000 because the front brake comes on with the rear brake.

Well, only 1 piston or so comes on I believe. And how much force is
put thru depends on the torque on the rear brake in that case, which
is hydraulically transfered, depending on force applied, speed etc.
The BMW integral system works in a similar fashion, but is controlled
electronically and more intelligent. My only experience with DCBS is
with a Blackbird, but I can't remember even noticing it. How could
he have fallen off? In this (Dutch) test I have here they really
liked DCBS (which is different than the linked braking system of
the older Goldwing), mostly because of the great performance it
gave just by letting the brakes be used more efficiently, without
giving anybody the sense of a false security. My opinion would be
that with proper knowledge, awareness of its limitations and proper
training, ABS is only good though. In combination with DCBS (like on
the ST1100/ST1300 and the newer smaller Hondas with ABS) or the BMW
system, the effect is pretty amazing. The video I mentioned before
with the Dutch police BMW's also had a scene where they tested that
BMW versus a police ST1100ABSTCSDCBS. Now I know the ST brakes (especially
on the +'96 models) are really very good, but the Beemer won with
a noticable difference.

When you get a chance to ride one of these bikes you should try and
test it out. But if you get the first RT that still had a powered
rear brake, make sure you don't touch the rear brake unless you
wanna make an emergency stop. I've ridden 2 of these RT's and forgot
in the beginning about that. The second you just touch the rear brake,
your crown jewels will be smashed against the tank :-(. They changed
that with newer models.

Emile
www.piloot.com