Re: driving range on a tank of petrol

At 12:47 AM 06/30/1999 +0200, Leatherbiker wrote:
>Since we all agree that the fuel gauge is totally fucked up, can
>anyone answer the following for me:
>
>a) how many litres or gallons does the tank actually hold?

21 litres ~ 5.5 US Gallons

>b) how many miles would you expect that to give you on average -
>using up every last drop?

easily 200+

>c) how many miles should you have left when the yellow
>fuel-depletion light comes on (for the last time, which mine
>does at around the 100-105 mile mark)?

light -should- come on with around 4 litres left

>Has anyone actually driven round with a jerrycan full of fuel so
>that they can run the bike completely dry?

went 210 miles and it took about 4.5 gallons to fill it up, so I would
assume that I could get close to 250

>My dealer originally told me to get petrol within about 20 miles
>of the light coming on, but when I do that, it invariably takes
>only about 13-13.5 litres of fuel - which seems incredibly low
>compared to the Trophy I had before.

are you going all the way to the base of the filler neck ? I routinely run
180+ miles on the tank without getting the light. Your fuel consumption
seems really high - I tend to average around 45-48 mpg (US) and by your
numbers you are getting around 30. Way too low for an ST...

>Seems like I'm always the first to refuel for fear of running
>dry and having to hold everybody else up!

With the consumption rate of the ST, you should be one of the last. The
first thing I would check would be how full your are filling the tank.

- - Eric